Wednesday 12 November 2014

Typography

Typography.
Typography is the art of text, and arranging type in order for language to be visible and clear. Typography is a crucial part of the conventions of a magazine. Eye catching font is the one of the first things the audience will notice. The arrangement type involves, font type, font size, line length, leading and kerning. The arrangement of text is extremely important when creating any magazine, as using the correct arrangement can potentially make the magazine appear more official and professional. The font has to be easy to read, most magazines use serif fonts as they are easy to read and eye-catching.

After analysing the conventions of a magazine, i have realised how important the font/typography is, if the typography is poor it can impact the magazine negatively, which leads to the magazine not selling effectively. When creating my music magazine, I shall pay attention to how I structure my typography, including kerning, leading and lining. When researching magazine covers i have come across the difference between Sans and Sans serif, and that most magazines use Sans Serif for big titles and magazines.


When creating my magazine I will be sure to use sans serif font for large titles,as it is clear and easy to read. I will also pay close attention to kerning and alignment. As these too, are very crucial when apply text to my magazine. Kerning is the process of adjusting the spacing between characters, so that the font is in proportion, to achieve a visually appealing structure. Improper kerning can also cause great difficulty when reading articles.

When creating my music magazine i will pay close attention to the typography and be sure to achieve proper kerning, leading and font type.

No comments:

Post a Comment